What is Spiritual Care
Spiritual care involves attending to and nurturing the spiritual needs of each person. We believe that every human life is sacred and that everyone has an innate spirituality. Each of us seeks ways to express meaning and purpose in life and to experience connectedness to ourselves, to others, to nature and to the sacred. The spiritual part of our being helps us cope with crises, illnesses and life transitions and contributes to our overall health and well-being. We support individuals in identifying and accessing their personal spiritual resources.
The Care We Offer
We are committed to providing compassionate, non-judgmental presence and care, and to serving the spiritual needs of all patients, families and staff. We honor and respect the faith traditions of all religions and cultures.
Who We Are
The Spiritual Care Department is staffed by full-time, part-time and on-call chaplains. We dedicate ourselves, our energies and our resources to the healing ministry of Christ Jesus at SVH in Billings.
We Serve By
- Offering support on a routine basis and during times of crisis, loss and other difficult situations
- Offering prayer
- Providing sacraments or rituals, such as emergency baptism, daily communion, reconciliation and anointing of the sick to Catholic patients and facilitating sacraments and rituals for other patients, as requested
- Contacting local clergy, by request, so they can be a part of patient support
- Providing Advance Directives consultation
- Providing support for staff and physicians
- Participating in ethics consultations
- Providing worship services, as scheduled and as needed
Spiritual Care Services are available 24 hours a day. Ask for a chaplain whenever you need someone to be with you, to listen to you or accompany you in your present situation. Your nurse will be happy to contact us for you. The Spiritual Care office is located on the first floor of the Allard Building, across from the Lab.
The chapel is located on the first floor of the hospital near Guest Services, and is open to all, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Mass is offered in the chapel Monday-Thursday at 11:30am. The Mass is televised and can be seen in patient rooms on Channel 18. At other times, Channel 18 features meditative music and scenery.